Skip to main content

Anachronistic

There are some people who are struggling to understand exactly what steampunk is. To understand it is pretty straightforward but to try and explain it gets a little more convoluted. The basic concept of alternate history is relatively easy to explain, but once you start getting past that people tend to get lost.  Wikipedia let me to the word anachronism to aid in the understanding of steampunk. I think it perfectly encapsulates what makes steakpunk fiction unique.

 

a·nach·ro·nism

[uh-nak-ruh-niz-uhm]

 

–noun

  1. something or someone that is not in its correct historical or chronological time, esp. a thing or person that belongs to an earlier time.
  2. an error in chronology in which a person, object, event, etc., is assigned a date or period other than the correct one.

 

steampunk_banner_thumb

 

You want to read steampunk, share your opinion and reviews with like minded people? You want to get recommendations from others because you have no idea where to begin? Join the steampunk challenge and share the experience!

 

The challenge runs from October to October and there are no obligations other than to have fun discovering a genre and let other participants know about what you find.

 

I was thrilled when I found out about this challenge from Carin. I ran right over and signed up! Honestly, steampunk culture and art interests me more than the fiction, but I am willing to give it another try. My issue with steampunk is that it is rooted in historical fiction, which bores me beyond belief. You know, I really don’t WANT to be bored by these types of novels, but I am. It’s just the way things work sometime. But there are so many books I have been wanting to read anyway that would classify as steakpunk I am excited about the whole thing.  This challenge is nice and easy bcause it is a long time frame and minimum commitment. I have been encouraging as many people as I can to join, simply because I think it would be fun. I also want to make sure I thank Rikki for hosting this challenge.  Head on over, you still have time to sign up. Already have a lot of enthusiastic participants making suggestions and sharing links.

 

Just like normal there are a lot of books I want to read for this. Unlike normal, I seem to have plenty of time to actually get them read. This challenge is also adding quite a few books to my wishlist, so if I get any of those they will be added to the pile! :)  The list for now is as follows, in no particular order:

 

Boneshaker
The Windup Girl
Perdido Street Station
The Difference Engine
Mortal Engines
Soulless

 

These are the titles I am definite on and there are a few more that I am considering. Since I have struggled with this subgenre before I am worried about planning ahead to read too many books and then not being able to get into them no matter how hard I try. But this is a good starting place.

 

Are you a fan of steampunk fiction? What would you read? What would you recommend?

Comments