Skip to main content

Hush, Hush

So, this is how it goes. I read Hush, Hush for two reasons:

  1. Because Chelsea wanted me too.

  2. Because it was listed on the Cybils long list for science fiction and fantasy.

I am going to say up front that I liked the book. Are you listening? I LIKED THE BOOK. But....that doesn't mean I only have positive things to say about it.

Patch, we can infer, is some sort of wingless angel. We met him through the eyes of Nora Grey. She is always telling us what a bad boy he is and how dangerous he can be. But he never ACTUALLY does anything dangerous besides throw pouty looks around. Well, the books says it another way, but you get the idea.

Hush, Hush falls victim to the age old writing rule. Becca Fitzpatrick tells us Patch is a bad boy, tells us Nora's reaction to him, but doesn't show us very much in the text on the page. Just because a boy struts around, acts mysterious, wears "bad boy" clothing and smiles when he talks he is not automatically a bad boy. Also, Patch is not a macho name. Patch is Robin Williams wrapped in a fluffy quilt.

What the author does do is write and plot an engaging story and excels at moving the story forward with good and witty dialogue. This book is a crowd pleaser with a unique plot. The story unfolds in an unpredictable way. it shows a female character who can be strong, but still does fall prey to stupid decisions. the romantic elements clearly overwhelm most of the book, but it was nice to have unexpected content underneath.

Also Hush, Hush has a rocking cover.

Should you read this book? Yes.
Will you be impressed with the writing? I don't think so.

Care to prove me wrong?

Comments

  1. I still need to read this one and see where i land on the rating scale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I was annoyed by the "telling" rather than getting to see actions that would steer me toward those conclusions on my own. I did enjoy the mind tricks, though. I thought that made the plot more fun. Overall, though, I actually didn't like it. I finished it, because the plot was engaging, but I wouldn't read the sequels. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment