Skip to main content

The Sunday Salon - RADD

RADD = Reading Attention Deficit Disorder. Are you picking up new books even when you are enjoying what you are currently reading? Do you often forget which books you are in the middle of? Have you read more than 3 books in one day without completing any of them? Then you too may be a victim of RADD. What kind of treatment is there for this disorder? I have no idea!!!

The Sunday Salon.com

Last night I wanted to read some science fiction. Now that I am a fan it seems it is all I want to read. But the hard part is that my interest in science fiction is very specialized. And I am not even sure yet how to define it. I know that I am interested in dystopias and also I am interested in books that deal with technology in some way. But I am still in “try it” mode, to see which type of books I enjoy.

Last night I tried A Great and Terrible Beauty , Thief of Souls , and Life As We Knew It . While they are all good and well written books, they just weren’t what I was looking for. The library has A Great and Terrible Beauty marked as science fiction, but I have been told it is closer to fantasy and it is definitely historical. I was reading along, just sort of expecting it to change. And then I realized it wasn’t going to and I wasn’t be particularly fair to the book by expecting something else out of it.

I put it down and looked through the other science fiction books I have out from the library. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer is an interesting first person account about a world changing event in the not too distant future. It is in diary format which I have always favored. This should be a really nice read for me, but not the read I was looking for.

In an interview last year, author Susan Beth Pfeffer explains this book in her own words,

“After many roller coaster decades, I wrote Life As We Knew It. It's about a sixteen year old girl, Miranda, who happens to keep a diary at a time when the entire world suffers a catastrophe, the likes of which only an aging freelance children's book writer who was very angry about conditions in the United States could imagine.”


After reading just a single book by Neal Shusterman, I have already declared him my favorite author. I really enjoyed the writing and storytelling in Unwind and am eager to read more of his books. I was hopeful when I picked up Thief of Souls , but it only took a few pages to realize it was yet again not what I was looking for. (Also just found out it is the second in a series, so I need to take it back and get the first one.) Which, in the long run, is a good thing. One of the reasons why I am quick to call Shusterman my favorite author is the versatility he has in his writing. I read a few pages of Antsy Does Time before finding out it was a second book. But it was very funny. I got the first book last time I went to the library. And also a collection of short stories that should be interesting to read. What? I am not obsessed or anything. Being obsessed is totally against my character.

I came down here and piled up every science fiction book I could find and brought them up to my room. I was determined I was going to find something along the lines of what I wanted to read.

I was lucky in that the very next book I picked up was perfect. Grimspace caught me right from the beginning. In fact I started it a few times already when I was supposed to be reading other things. I read about 5 chapters of this book and enjoyed every moment of it. I am really looking forward to reading more and then moving on to the next book in the series.

Ann was great enough to send me these for review and that is always a nerve wracking experience for me. What if I hate it? I rarely actually ask authors for their books, but this one sounded so interesting especially with my new found interest in science fiction and people kept recommending Ann’s books to me.

So now I am lucky enough to have a signed copy of a book I am loving and really looking forward to reading more of it.


What do you think of this cover for Grimspace?

Even though I want to read more of Grimspace, today I hope to finish Fear and Trembling and maybe one other book I am in the middle of. What books do you hope to finish today?

(Oh yeah, and this is just a sampling of the books I read in the last 24 hours. RADD is in full force.)

Comments

  1. Interesting how things change and items we thought normal now have a label. I could never spell even though I read every day. These days it would be classed as mild dyspepsia.. But in my day it was just an issue with my English

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just made RADD up! :D

    But I guess I too have mild dyspepsia because although I read all the time I can't spell. And it was always really hard for me. And thank goodness for spell check and the like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Courage in Patience!
    Beth Fehlbaum, author
    Courage in Patience, a story of HOPE..
    http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
    Ch. 1 is online!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh-I have RADD too! I feel so much better now!:)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a victim of RADD, probably worse than you are. I am always reading at least three books, usually more. Sometimes it's all during one day, but most of the time it means I start a book, get interested in another, then another, and sometimes I don't get back to the first for a MONTH. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment